
Namely tomatoes and peppers. I have seven pepper plants and five tomato plants. One of which is the "runt" of the "litter." I had to plant this one. It is part a Charlie Brown Christmas Tree kind of thing and part remembering my first days of gardening.
When I was little, growing up in Western Cullman County I had a great neighbor, Ocie Glover. One spring she was "thinning out" her rows of corn. She pulled six small stalks to be tossed away. Feeling sorry for the poor plants I asked if I might plant the on the side of the garden. She said "sure." I planted, weeded and tended them all summer for 10 ears of corn. The next summer I had my own three rows of garden with tomatoes. peppers, okra, watermelon and of course corn. By the end of my time there I had half the garden to myself with beans and squash added.
Back to the "runt." I think that even the smallest of plants, or people for that matter, can do great things. Let the "runts" have a chance, I do. I will keep you posted on the growth of all things, fruit, animal, vegetable and mineral.

No comments:
Post a Comment